Gokongwei Brothers Foundation announces the opening of applications for the GBF-Gokongwei Group STEM Scholarship for Excellence program for academic year 2020 to 2021. Applications will be received until August 30, 2020.
The GBF-Gokongwei Group STEM Scholarship for Excellence supports outstanding college students in the field of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) who possess good academic record, demonstrate leadership potential and community involvement, and require financial assistance to pursue higher education. Scholars receive a fixed grant amount every academic year until they complete their college degree.
The scholarship program is intended for students enrolled in any year level in select STEM degree programs listed at the end of this announcement. Students enrolled in GBF’s priority universities are highly encouraged to apply. First year students in academic year 2020 to 2021 may also send applications.
Aside from providing financial assistance, GBF also helps ensure that scholars undertake quality on-the-job training and find gainful employment. GBF makes this possible by partnering with various Gokongwei Group companies in carrying out the scholarship program.
GBF-Gokongwei Group STEM SFE scholars Rose Ann Carmona, Melvin Rigodon, and Gold Caminian now work as engineers at JG Summit Petrochemicals Group.
As of June 2020, the scholarship program has supported 235 scholars through college. Currently, the program has almost 140 scholars enrolled in 23 top-ranked Philippine universities.
Especially amid the current times, GBF emphasizes its commitment to providing access to education to deserving students who will contribute to the advancement of STEM in the country. “We at GBF look to these young Filipinos, our future scientists and STEM professionals, to be the next generation of leaders and movers of our country towards meaningful change and sustained national development,” GBF Executive Director Grace Colet said.
GBF is the philanthropic arm of the Gokongwei Group. Its mission is to build the future through education. GBF works toward the advancement of STEM education, believing this is the driving force for sustainable national development.
List of Priority STEM Courses for A.Y. 2020 to 2021
- Applied Mathematics
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Science
- Electrical Engineering
- Electronics & Communications Engineering
- Electronics Engineering
- Industrial Engineering
- Industrial Technology
- Information Technology
- Mechanical Engineering
- Petroleum Engineering
- Veterinary Medicine
List of Preferred Universities for A.Y. 2020 to 2021
- Adamson University
- Ateneo de Davao University
- Batangas State University
- Bicol University
- Bulacan State University
- Central Philippine University
- De La Salle Araneta University
- De La Salle University – Dasmariñas
- Far Eastern University
- FEU Alabang
- FEU Institute of Technology
- Holy Angel University
- Lyceum of the Philippines University – Batangas
- Mapua University
- Mariano Marcos State University
- Manuel S. Enverga University Foundation
- Mindanao State University – Iligan Institute of Technology
- Negros Oriental State University
- Our Lady of Fatima University
- Pangasinan State University - Urdaneta
- Polytechnic University of the Philippines – Sta. Mesa
- PUP Taguig
- Silliman University
- St. Louis University
- Technological Institute of the Philippines
- Technological University of the Philippines
- University of Mindanao
- University of Perpetual Help Calamba
- University of San Carlos
- University of San Jose - Recoletos
- University of Santo Tomas
- UST Legazpi
- University of the Philippines Diliman
- UP Los Baños
- UP Visayas
- Virgen Milagrosa University Foundation
Application Requirements & Submission
Interested applicants should submit via email to firstname.lastname@example.org on or before August 30, 2020 the scanned copies in PDF format of the following requirements:
- Duly accomplished application form and essay. The form can be downloaded from this link: bit.ly/gbfstemsfe2020application
- Certified true copy of grades
- Certificate of batch ranking from the last completed school year (SHS or college) or at least 2 consecutive semesters (if in college already) showing candidate belongs to top 10% of high school batch or top 30% of college batch
- Certificate of good moral standing or a reference letter from the school principal, college dean, or department head
- Parent or family's proof of income (e.g. recently filed annual income tax return (ITR), last two pay slips, or certificate of indigency)